Hi there, I have had a look through this forum and to put my input re the GB-580P. I received a sample from GlobalSat about a week ago as we are interested in selling this in our market. I have been using Garmin Edge 305/705/500 and lately 800 so know what this product is up against. There are a lot of good ideas but in terms of getting product to market, best option is to focus on important software changes as hardware will take longer. Here are my comments re this product and suggestions to software.
- Hardware is good. In fact uses same wireless structure as Garmin. You can pair Garmin accessories to this unit and vice versa. Only requirement now is a combined Speed/Cadence unit (Garmin GSC10 works nicely on this unit) as separate sensors are messy
- Unit needs an auto calibration for wheel size. If this option is added, unit will calibrate wheel after few minutes based on GPS distance
- Pages display. Two changes needed here. Firstly, an option to set number of data fields to zero and this will disable the page. Most users will only need perhaps two pages and having to scroll through unwanted pages during a ride is inconvenient and dangerous. Other change is an Auto Scroll option with 3 speeds so that the unit scrolls the pages itself without key presses.
- Slope. Lots of comments re slope. Agree does not work correctly. This needs a smaller average window. Garmin seems to operate on about 3 sec frame. Instantaneous slope is imperative.
- Total ascent/descent. Seems to have a similar averaging problem to slope. Data I have collected using Edge 800 on same ride seems to show GB-580P totals are a lot less than Garmin.
- Trainer. The option to train against Yourself is something I use a lot on Garmin. Software needs change to allow an actiivty to be renamed and flagged/stored separately as a course to train against. Trying to find a previous course to train against from activity list is very difficult using date/time labels. Trainer needs to also link into map page as a visual target is great for keeping ahead. Map needs cycle icon replaced by a solid circle or arrow head for actual position and grey icon for virtual rider.
- Elevation page. This would be a great addition to show record of elevation profile during ride. It could also include virtual and live icons during Trainer above.
As far as I can see, if these are implemented now, product can go to market and the remaining changes can follow.