I did yesterday a longer ride and tested the device.
Report of using the GB580P
1. Very nice display and clear to read even the little clock in map mode
2. Hart rate monitor is very good
3. Speed and cadence is working fine and accurate.
4. Custom pages are very flexible and with 5 different items excellent
5. Battery live excellent, I did drive 4 hours and only one line on the battery was gone.
6. Track back is following better, quicker than the GH625
7. Barometer is good noticeable because altitude is stable
8. Bird’s Eye View mode (BEV) is very nice
9. Very nice, in the compass grid page, is the ETA(Estimated Time Arrival) and distance to go in real distance and not thru the air.
10. The backlight possibility is a nice feature.
11. The recorded data track is very precise
12. TG has a nice page to put in alle the important user itmes and user pages, fantastic.
Points that need to be improved:
1. If I pushed the page button (mounted on the bike you automatic hold the device between your hand otherwise you pull the computer from the mounting ) I had a few times that accidently pressed also the down arrow button, resulting in changing the orientation from the screen from vertical to horizontal. Very annoying because sometimes it was hard to get back in vertical again while driving above the 30 km/u. Suggestion: Change the quick button to page and arrow up together
2. Back light is very nice but there is no option to switch it off. Suggestion: make in the menu the option switch off
3. Barometer setting is now by pressure or putting in the height manually, but most of the time you start from home. Suggestion: make a field in Barometer page with option default home altitude. So if device is switched on it calibrates automatic to default altitude, what is much user friendlier .
4. Auto zoom in map mode did not work correctly, when I started and standing still, be away > 100 m from a smart track point it zoomed in to 5 meters and looking where to go with arrow up I good see where to go shortly and then it moved to 5 meter again. While driving around the 30 km/u it stayed between 1 and 2 km sometimes it came to 500m. Suggestion: auto zoom Smart Track Point <2 km zoom to 2 km, STP <1 km zoom to 1 km, STP<500 zoom to 500, STP<200 zoom to 200, STP<100 zoom to 100, STP<50 zoom to 50. For cycling this is the max zoom I think.
5. The bicycle symbol is sometimes in the way, and not clear at all to make out if you are following the track correctly. Also in Birds Eye View mode the track recording line thus not follow the track line if you change to other directions than North, so it makes it messy and go’s over the track line you are following. Suggestion: Change the bicycle symbol in the symbol like GH625 but a bit bigger and a bit stretched so the top of the arrow point is good to spot. The record line can be taken away if it can’t handle BEV, make the line solid if the STP is past so you know where you are at the moment. Together with the new arrow point it should be enough information.
6. changing STP goal is not so nice as with the GH625, you have to go to the compass grid page and there it is possible to skip STP to next or go back. Not so bad but then the hassle starts to have to go around all pages to come back to map mode!!!! Suggestion: if track back is activated change the logic of ESC button into go back 1 page function, because then it is possible to go quickly from user page to map or grid mode. I know the back light function can’t work then, but this is a good choice I think.
7. The Grey fields are not all very clear, also to change the contrast is not the solution because after this the normal darker grey in user page becomes too dark . Suggestion: change the light grey fields to a bit darker.
8. Better to have a separate on/off button. Suggestion: on the topside, makes it possible to do a lot better navigation thru the pages like back function and so on.
9. I noticed the update of the AVeraGe (AVG)are done every second, it takes unnecessary time from the CPU, special if you do a exercise longer than a hour AVG thus need anything more than 7 sec calculating . Suggestion: monitor it only at least every 4 sec
10. Power seems only to work with extra power device, nowhere mentioned except in accessories (scan). I thought it calculated from speed, cadence and HR.
11. Slope did not work!!, or did not show. I did go over 2 bridges about 200m long and height difference of 8 m, slope stayed on ZERO. It was of course about 4%. Slope thus not show up in TG!!
12. Max speed did give 215 km/h, in real I did max 39 km/u (another bicycle computer)
13. If you select Track back the recording should start automatically, without having to go to user pages and then press arrow up .
Thinks who are unclear:
I saw a little white spot in the direction STP arrow in map mode, on the moment I did drive wrong direction (I Think) what is the meaning of this?